Sunday, May 20, 2012

Blanket Statement.

Starting a new crochet project is always exciting. I love the planning process - looking at patterns, thinking about colours, sketching ideas, looking at and agonising over yarn,  then finally buying yarn and beginning work.  Some projects begin without an owner in mind, some are destined to become gifts, some will work up quickly, and some require huge investments of time and patience. Blankets are examples of long-term commitment projects. They take forever, eat up a whole lot of yarn, I tend to get sick of working on the one thing for weeks at a time, but the satisfaction I feel when I'm finally looking at the finished product is worth the time and effort.

Last post, I shared a picture of a blanket I made as a special gift for my mother-in-law. Since then I have completed two blankets and I've got a couple more on the go.


This one was my Christmas holiday project. The pattern is commonly known as a chevron or ripple pattern. I looked at this pattern to learn the stitches, then collected all the green, white, blue and cream yarn I had lying around the house, arranged it all in different combinations and orders, then got to it. Amazingly, around the same time I was making this beauty, Alice over at Crochet With Raymond was making her own blue and green ripple blanket. I watched our two blankets progress throughout January - hers more quickly than mine! This blankey now lives on the back of a lounge at my place, and is good to throw over my knees now the nights are getting cooler.


This is a 7 Point Star Throw made with 100% wool I purchased online from this eBay store. This pattern is based on similar principals to a straight chevron/ripple pattern, with increases and decreases at particular places. This blanket is amazingly warm! I was a little unsure about buying yarn without seeing and feeling it, but I was so happy with the quality of the product and the way my blanket turned out. Jessie likes it too. She  was helping me take photos.




This box of squares has to be my longest running project. This will one day become a blanket for my husband Justin, who was inspired by all the patchwork fields he saw during his trip to Ireland about, oh, I don't know ... six years ago? Whoops! All the squares were knitted using about 40 different kids of green yarn. All that's left is to join them together ... the most boring part of the blanket making process!


And finally, this is a gift for my friend Bromwyn, who is having a baby next month. This particular blanket was inspired by Lucy over at Attic 24. It has about 13 different colours in it, AND you join the hexagon tiles together as you go, thus avoiding the long, laborious process of stitching endless tiles together once the crocheting is over!

Next post, I'll share some of my non-yarny making adventures with you all. 

Thanks again for dropping by!

Anna.




No comments:

Post a Comment